Lex. firefighters extinguish house fire

Lexington Volunteer Firefighters were called to a residential fire Monday night that caused a considerable amount of damage and displaced the residents of the home. Fire Chief Dahlas Holbein says it appeared to have been caused by old or bad wiring in a bathroom light that shorted out...

"when we arrived on scene, we could just see that there was a little bit of smoke starting coming out of the attic spaces...as we got inside with our thermal cameras we were able to locate a hot spot in the ceiling and narrow it down to a small spot...we had to tear out a chunk of the ceiling in the ...it would be the utility room/bathroom in the home to get the fire out."

Holbein estimated the fire caused more than $5,000 in damage, but he says the house at 517 West Spruce is salvageable, although its occupants will have to be out of the home until repairs are made and inspected. Firefighters were summoned at about 9:45 p.m. and spent about an hour at the scene putting out the fire. Holbein says the fire offers a reminder about all the Christmas lights, heaters and other items that people plug in this time of year and the extra strain on electrical systems.



© 2014 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information