The Scottsbluff Rural Fire Department responded Monday to a chimney fire that did not cause a lot of damage but reminds property owners to inspect their chimneys before using them in the forecasted cold spell.
The fire was at 3840 Avenue I and while it did not reach the roof, it did cause $1,000 property damage and $500 damage to the contents. The firefighters say the chimney was “badly creosoted”. When it caught fire coupled with a small opening, the firefighters were asked to respond.
Eight personnel and three trucks responded to the fire.