class="post-template-default single single-post postid-266652 single-format-standard group-blog masthead-fixed full-width singular wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.2.1 vc_responsive"
Firefighters: Tossed cigarette likely caused apartment blaze | KRVN Radio

Firefighters: Tossed cigarette likely caused apartment blaze

Firefighters: Tossed cigarette likely caused apartment blaze
RRN/Lincoln apartment fire.

LINCOLN, Neb. – Authorities say a fire that destroyed an apartment building in northern Lincoln was likely started by a cigarette carelessly tossed outside the building.

The blaze at the Black Sand Apartment Homes was reported around 5 a.m. Wednesday, and more than a dozen firetrucks eventually were dispatched as flames leaped from the roof.

Officials say the fire caused $2.5 million in damage and displaced more than 50 people living in the 30-unit building.

No residents were injured, but two firefighters suffered minor injuries while fighting the blaze.

The fire was brought under control by 6:15 a.m.

Firefighters say the apartments were equipped with water sprinklers, but none were located in the area where the fire started, allowing the fire to grow.

© 2017 Nebraska Rural Radio Association. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information
Share:
Comments