There were no injuries, but there was significant damage caused by a house fire north of Alliance Sunday afternoon.
Hemingford Fire Chief Shad Bryner says his department was called to the blaze at 5911 Jefferson Road shortly after 2:15 p.m. and immediately called the Alliance department for mutual aid. Bryner says the occupant of the home wasn’t there when they arrived, and bystanders had already retrieved a number of pets from the structure.
Bryner says the 15 firefighters were able to control the blaze fairly quickly, and were into cleanup for several hours. He says the fire, smoke and water damage were concentrated in the kitchen and dining area, estimated at $70,000 to $80,000. Bryner says the State Fire Marshals’ preliminary report pointed to smoking materials left outside the home as the likely cause of the blaze.
Officials with PRIMA and Box Butte County Sheriff’s Deputies were on scene, as well as Firefighter Ministry and the American Red Cross, both of which offered assistance to the displaced victim.