The Nebraska State Patrol is confirming there was a fatal accident Friday near Chappell. The fatality was confirmed around 1 p.m. by Troop D Dispatch in North Platte and Patrol spokesman Cody Thomas says there was an accident at the location involving multiple semis; but no other information is available at this time.
The Nebraska State Patrol has begun to close major highways due to zero visibility, blizzard conditions and multiple accidents.
- Highway 385 between Alliance and Sidney closed
- Interstate 80 and Highway 30 also closed in both directions from Wyoming State Line to North Platte
- L62A from the North Bayard Jct. to US 385 closed
- Highway 71 from Colorado State Line to Gering closed
- I-80 from Cheyenne to Laramie closed both directions
- Hwy 88 closed Wyoming line to Bridgeport closed
- Hwy 26 is closed from Bridgeport to Lewellen
- US 85 Cheyenne – Torrington, closed both directions due to winter conditions.
- Hwy 27 is closed from Gordon to the South Dakota line.
More closures are likely and the Nebraska Department of Transportation is advising no travel in the panhandle due to reduced visibility
The cities of Alliance and Sidney have declared snow emergencies effective at 5 p.m. this evening, which means all parked cars should be removed from designated major streets to allow for snow removal.