OMAHA, Neb. (AP) _ The Nebraska Supreme Court has ordered that a Scottsbluff man’s child abuse conviction will stand, reversing a Nebraska Court of Appeals’ ruling earlier this year vacating the man’s conviction and sentence.
The case centers on Cody Olbricht, who was convicted last year of intentional child abuse resulting in serious injury. He was accused of severely beating his girlfriend’s 3-year-old daughter and sentenced to 18 to 30 years in prison.
In February, the appeals court said there was insufficient evidence presented at trial to convict Olbricht, and state prosecutors appealed to the state Supreme Court.
In its reversal Friday, the high court said the appeals court wrongly dismissed circumstantial evidence presented at trial as insufficient. The high court also ordered Olbricht’s sentence set at 15 to 30 years