SUTTON, Neb. – A structure fire southwest of Sutton resulted in the death of three sheep on Christmas night.
According to Sutton Volunteer Fire Chief John Shurman, his department was dispatched around 10:45 p.m. Monday night to a report that a metal building used to house animals, as well as storage, was engulfed. Initial knockdown of the flames took about 30 minutes, but Sutton Fire remained on scene until 2:00 a.m. maintaining hot spots.
The building is considered a total loss with damage estimated at roughly $45,000, not including cost of the lost sheep.
It is believed that electrical is to blame for the fire, in particular a heat lamp used for the sheep. Sutton Fire received no assistance in the incident.