class="post-template-default single single-post postid-314263 single-format-standard group-blog masthead-fixed full-width singular wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.7 vc_responsive"
Tuesday night Scottsbluff house fire caused by unattended candles | KRVN Radio

Tuesday night Scottsbluff house fire caused by unattended candles

Tuesday night Scottsbluff house fire caused by unattended candles
Photo courtesy Tommy Bernhardt

A Tuesday night house fire in Scottsbluff has caused approximately $15,000 worth of damage.

Fire Marshal Anthony Murphy says firefighters were dispatched to the 800 block of West 15th Street around 8 p.m. Tuesday. When firefighters arrived on scene, they saw smoke coming out of the bathroom window. Crews made entry to the home and found an active fire in the bathroom.

Murphy says they were able to extinguish the blaze and made sure it hadn’t spread to the attic. He was on scene until 10:45 p.m., and through the course of his investigation, the fire was determined to be caused by candles left burning in the bathroom.

He says nobody was home at the time of the call, and no one was injured. He says in this case, the home had no working smoke or carbon monoxide detectors, and urges people to check their own home to make sure their detectors are in working order.

Murphy says the total damage estimate from Tuesday’s fire is around $15,000.

© 2018 Nebraska Rural Radio Association. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information
Share:
Comments