class="single single-post postid-182705 single-format-standard group-blog masthead-fixed full-width singular wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12 vc_responsive"
Creighton Men’s Soccer and Denver Play To 0-0 Draw | KRVN Radio

Creighton Men’s Soccer and Denver Play To 0-0 Draw

Creighton Men’s Soccer and Denver Play To 0-0 Draw

OMAHA, Neb. — The No. 12 Creighton men’s soccer team played No. 8 Denver to a 0-0 draw at Morrison Stadium on Wednesday night.

The Bluejays are now 4-1-2, while the Pioneers are 7-0-2.

Alex Kapp tied a Morrison Stadium single-match record for most saves by a Creighton individual with nine. Alex Bolowich also made nine saves against No. 14 Old Dominion on Sept. 14, 2012. Kapp’s nine stops also matched a career-high for the Boston College transfer.

An evenly played first half saw Denver launch seven shots, while Creighton had six.

The Pioneers opened the match with their first opportunity during the second minute. Andre Shinyashiki fired a shot wide of the goal for his first of a game-high five shots.

During the 24th minute, Lucas Stauffer launched a shot from ten yards outside the top of the 18-yard box, but Denver’s Nick Gardner made a jumping save to his right to keep the Bluejays off the scoreboard.

Denver had its best chance of the first half during the 39th minute. Kortne Ford fired a shot towards goal that slid past a diving Kapp and hit the right post. The Pioneers followed that chance with a shot during the 40th minute only to see Kapp make a diving save.

Creighton had the first corner kick of the match during the 44th minute. Luke Haakenson sent the ball into the box where Peter Prescott sent a header towards goal before Gardner picked up his fourth save of the first half.

Denver controlled the offensive possession in the second half as the the Pioneers held a 9-4 advantage in shots. Kapp made six saves as the match remained scoreless through 90 minutes.

One of Kapp’s best saves of the night came during the 75th minute. After a scramble inside the box following a corner kick, Graham Smith possessed the ball and fired a shot through a crowded box, but Kapp extended his right leg and got his foot on the ball to stop it from finding the back of the net.

Kapp followed that save with another highlight-reel stop a little over five minutes later. Shinyashiki beat the Creighton defense and had an opportunity to score, but Kapp fell to the turf and this time extended his left leg to make a sliding save.

Stauffer had Creighton’s best scoring opportunity of the second half during the 56th minute. The junior sailed a shot from just outside the 18-yard box, but Denver’s Kortne Ford put a foot on the ball on a diving attempt before the ball reached Gardner in goal.

Neither team had any scoring threats in either overtime as both Creighton and Denver did not record a shot on goal.

The Bluejays are now 29-5-3 at Morrison Stadium against Top-25 opponents.

Wednesday’s 0-0 draw marked the first regular-season 0-0 tie for Creighton since the Bluejays played No. 12 Georgetown to a scoreless draw on Sept. 28, 2013 in Creighton’s first BIG EAST road match in program history. The Bluejays also played UMBC to a 0-0 tie in the 2014 NCAA tournament before UMBC advanced on penalty kicks, 4-3.

The Bluejays return to the pitch on Saturday at DePaul for their first road match since Sept. 2. Kickoff in Chicago is scheduled for 1 p.m.

© 2016 Nebraska Rural Radio Association. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information