class="post-template-default single single-post postid-282359 single-format-standard group-blog masthead-fixed full-width singular wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.5 vc_responsive"
Creighton Women drop first Big East game in overtime loss to St. John’s | KRVN Radio

Creighton Women drop first Big East game in overtime loss to St. John’s

Creighton Women drop first Big East game in overtime loss to St. John’s

Queens, N.Y. — The Creighton women’s basketball suffered its first conference loss of the season as the Bluejays fell to St. John’s 72-65 in overtime on Friday, Jan. 5.

The loss dropped the Bluejays to 9-5 on the season and 3-1 in BIG EAST play, while St. John’s moved to 8-7 overall and 1-3 in conference action.

Things started off strong for the Bluejays as sophomore Ali Greene dropped in the first two buckets of the game, then senior Bailey Norby sank two free throws to make it 6-0 with 6:18 left in the period.  St. John’s, however rallied to tie the game at 10-10. Freshman Temi Carda gave the lead right back to Creighton with a trey from the corner and the Bluejays went on to take a 15-12 edge to the second.

Three pointers from sophomore Jaylyn Agnew and senior Sydney Lamberty helped push the Bluejay advantage to 23-18 (7:08). Once more the Red Storm rallied in the latter portion of the quarter as St. John’s went to halftime with a slim 30-29 lead.

The Red Storm controlled the third period, outscoring Creighton 20-13 to send the game to the final frame with the Bluejays down 50-42.

The Bluejays chipped away throughout the fourth, but remained down 59-55 with 3:11 left. Lamberty started a final burst with a driving layup kicking off a 7-0 Creighton run as junior Audrey Faber knocked down back-to-back buckets and Lamberty hit one-of-two from the line to put the Bluejays up 62-59 with 19 seconds left. Fate, however, shined on the Red Storm as Lamberty was called for a foul that sent Andrayah Adams to the line. The St. John’s guard hit one-of-two, but the rebound was grabbed by Maya Singleton. Seconds later Tiana England hit a driving layup to send the game to overtime.

St. John’s dominated the extra session, outscoring Creighton 10-3 to earn the win.

Lamberty led the Bluejays with 14 points in the game, while Agnew finished with 13. St. John’s got a game-high 17 points from England and Alisha Kebbe.

Rebounding was one of the differences in the game as St. John’s finished with a 47-30 rebounding edge, including 18 offensive boards.

The Bluejays have just a few hours to turn around and battle the BIG EAST leader Marquette at home on Sunday, Jan. 7 at 1:00 pm.

© 2018 Nebraska Rural Radio Association. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information