BATON ROUGE, La. — Junior pitcher Allison Doocystruck out 14 to lead the University of Iowa softball team to a 5-3 win over Bucknell on Friday.
Head coach Renee Gillispie got a win in her first game at Iowa, while seven newcomers saw action in a game that Iowa never trailed in.
HEAR FROM COACH GILLISPIE
“Excellent team effort today and its thrilling to get our first win under our belt. Bogar was a spark today leading off with a first-pitch triple, our first run of the day, and a sac fly for a second run. Doocy locked down our defense by providing us with 14 strikeouts. It was a solid debut at the plate by Bogar, Lien, Kilian, Owens, and Cecil.”
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Hawkeyes came out the gates fast with sophomore Aralee Bogar opening the game with a triple to left center. Bogar was brought home on an error to give the Hawkeyes an early 1-0 lead.
Iowa gave up ground in the third, allowing Bucknell to tie the score after a double brought in two.
After a scoreless fourth inning, both teams added a run in the fifth.
Iowa’s seventh inning was built by freshmen. Kate Claypool, who was pinch-running for senior Mallory Kilian, scored Iowa’s fourth run on a throwing error, and Abby Lien roped a triple to right center to bring home Owens, who walked.
Iowa closed the game with Doocy striking out the side.
- Doocy’s 14 strikeouts are one off of her career-high 15 strikeouts, set twice last season.
- Owens, Lien, and Cecil all recorded the first starts of their careers, while freshmen Miranda Schulteand Claypool, and junior DoniRae Mayhew all saw their first action in a Hawkeye uniform.
- Head Coach Renee Gillispie gets her first win at Iowa.
BATON ROUGE, La. — The University of Iowa softball team fell to the 10th-ranked LSU Tigers, 9-0, in six innings on Friday afternoon.
It was the second game of the day for Iowa, who defeated Bucknell, 5-3, in the earlier game. LSU’s Shelby Wickersham threw a no-hitter with two strikeouts and two walks (Kilian and Hamilton).
The Hawkeyes left three runners in scoring position and four on base.
- Sophomore Ashley Hamilton walked in her first career at-bat.
- Senior Mallory Kilian recorded an unassisted double play in the fourth inning.
- Junior pitcher DoniRae Mayhew recorded her first career start at Iowa.
Iowa wraps up the Tiger Classic on Saturday against Tulsa at 10:30 a.m. (CT) and will face LSU in the tournament finale at 3:30 p.m.