class="post-template-default single single-post postid-382904 single-format-standard group-blog masthead-fixed full-width singular wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.1 vc_responsive"
How to Buy Flood Insurance | KRVN Radio

How to Buy Flood Insurance

How to Buy Flood Insurance
Courtesy/Floodwaters receding in a residential area in Gibbon. Joe Gangwish. 3-15-19

Every year more U.S. homes are damaged by flooding than any other type of natural disaster. Flooding can occur nearly everywhere – in high, moderate or low flood-riskareas.

Standard homeowners insurance does not cover flooding. You can protect yourself from financial losses caused by flooding through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), administered by FEMA. A federal disaster declaration does not have to be in place for flood insurance claims to be paid.

Under the program, flood insurance is available in communities that have adopted and enforce regulations to reduce flood losses. More than 400 communities in Nebraska participate in NFIP, and there are more than 8,400 NFIP policyholders in the state. You can purchase a flood insurance policy if your community participates in NFIP, even if you don’t live in a high-risk flood zone, or Special Flood Hazard Area.

How to buy:

Coverage is available for residential and commercial buildings and the contents in them:

  • Up to $250,000 in building coverage and up to $100,000 in contents coverage for single-to-four family residential structures
  • Up to $500,000 in building coverage and up to $100,000 in contents coverage for five-or-more family residential structures
  • Up to $500,000 in building coverage and up to $500,000 in contents coverage for businesses

For more information, visit or call the NFIP helpdesk at 800-427-4661.



© 2020 Nebraska Rural Radio Association. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information