Ord, Neb. — A new trial date has again been set for a Roman Catholic priest accused of sexually assaulting a woman in central Nebraska.
Television station KSNB reports that trial for the Rev. John Kakkuzhiyil is now set for Jan. 6. The trial had been set to begin next month. Court documents did not indicate the reason for the delay.
Kakkuzhiyil was arrested earlier this year following a monthlong investigation by the Nebraska State Patrol after a woman told police he sexually assaulted her in November in his Ord home. The woman told investigators she blacked out after having a couple of drinks with the priest.
Kakkuzhiyil was the parish priest in Ord and Burwell at the time of the accusation. He was placed on leave Dec. 15.