ROSEMONT, Ill. – The Omaha softball team erupted for seven runs in the first inning of the 2020 season to win the season opener 7-6 over IUPUI on Friday morning. The Mavericks fell 11-3 in six innings to Loyola in the second game of opening day to garner the split.
Friday’s win over IUPUI is the 100th career victory for head coach Amanda Eberhart.
Game One: Omaha 7, IUPUI 6
How It Happened
- IUPUI plated five runs on a pair of hits and two Maverick errors to jump ahead 5-0 in the top of the first.
- Lynsey Tucker singled in her first collegiate at-bat before scoring on an RBI double by Emma Dargy to plate Omaha’s first run.
- Jamie White and Alexa Sedlak followed with a ground-rule RBI double and an RBI single, respectively to bring the Mavericks within 5-3.
- Lexi Burkhardt reached on a walk and came around to score on an IUPUI fielding error before Emily Klosterman lined a two-RBI triple to plate Hailey Bartz and Janae Cameron.
- Tucker singled home Klosterman on an infield single to give the Mavericks a 7-5 advantage after the first inning.
- The Jaguars cut the deficit in half on an RBI single in the fifth, but Omaha held IUPUI scoreless in the final two innings to secure the 7-6 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Tucker led Omaha at the plate in her collegiate debut, going 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Klosterman went 2-for-3 with her first career triple and a pair of RBI.
- Dargy, White, Sedlak, Cameron and Diana Murtha recorded one hit apiece.
- Sedlak extended her on-base streak to 12 games, dating back to the 2019 season.
- Kamryn Meyer made her collegiate debut in the circle, pitching one inning while allowing five runs (three earned) on two hits and striking out a pair of batters.
- Sydney Hamption recorded the win while tossing six innings in relief. Hampton allowed one run on four hits while striking out three batters.
- The season-opening victory is the fourth time in the last five seasons the Mavericks have opened the season with a win.
Game Two: Loyola 11, Omaha 3 (6 Inn.)
How It Happened
- Loyola opened the game with an 8-0 advantage after two innings before the Mavericks cut into the deficit with two runs in the top of the third to make it a six-run game, 8-2.
- The Ramblers got one of the runs back in the third before the two teams played to a scoreless fourth inning.
- Omaha scored its final run in the sixth inning while Loyola added a pair in the bottom half to clinch the 11-3 victory in six innings.
Complete stats to the Omaha at Loyola game will be provided at a later time.
The Mavericks continue action at the Rambler Rumble with a pair of games on Saturday. Omaha takes on Green Bay at 10 a.m. before facing Butler at 12:30 p.m.